In March of 2016 A Berry In The Wild opened it’s doors in Castle Rock, Colorado. A Berry In The Wild offers a wide range of services from their DIY Floral Studio to Boutique rentals and much, much more!
Their studio in Castle Rock is a must see and is completely transformed every season. Items in the studio are available for rent or purchase. It’s a great place to get ideas for an event or decorating your home.
Today I sat down with owner/Designer, Donise Newkirk, a more delightful lady you will not meet! Donise is passionate about her designs. She has a real eye for decorating and enjoys creating beautiful events and decor for her clients. Her creativity matched with her hard work ethic means every client walks away happy.
Donise and her husband, Paul, moved to Colorado from central California just months before she opened her doors in Castle Rock. She came to Colorado to be near her kids and their families. Her family is very involved with A Berry in the Wild. When I was in the studio for my interview with Donise her daughter was there helping transform the studio from a Christmas wonderland to Valentines Day dream. The grandkids were there too and I even got to meet her husband, Paul. Paul is a contractor and often helps Donise with her projects.
Before A Berry in the Wild, Donise worked as a florist. She said that she got into the floral industry because she used to help coordinate weddings at her church in California. Working in the floral industry was a natural progression. In 2000, Donise went out on her own and opened A Berry in the Wild from her home in California.
She lived on some acreage in California and had a barn on her property. Her beautifully decorated home was featured in Lifestyle magazine. She would often hold parties and teas on her property. Every year Donise would throw graduation parties for the jr high, high school and college in her town and did elaborate decor for the prom.
Donise was hired to do many of the weddings in her town. In fact, she is traveling back to do a wedding in California next summer.
Donise believes your imagination is your only limit when designing. She loves working with clients to come up with the perfect decor for their event. It is important to Donise to find out who her client is to make sure the design matches her personality. She said she has seen too many times when a designer creates something beautiful but it’s just not quite the right fit for the client.
Donise loves coming up with ideas with her clients. She just needs to know your theme and she will come up with a world of possible ideas to make it come alive and create something truly extraordinary.
Services Available at A Berry in the Wild
1. DIY floral design – Utilize the design studio to create your own designs. Throw a design party with friends. Get advice and tips from Donise.
2. Boutique rentals – visit the studio! Donise is not limited to her own personal preference in design. In the studio you will see everything from classic country to modern bling.
3. Event decor (from weddings to corporate events) – Any event, any idea, Donise can bring it to life! And again, imagination is the limit, if there is a prop she doesn’t have, she can typically build it. (or have husband/contractor, Paul, build it)
4. Full wedding planning
5. Home decor – Need some help on home decor or holiday decorating, call Donise!
6. Staging – Donise has experience in staging homes. She has done color coordination for home builder GJ Gardner.
7. Classes – A Berry in the Wild holds at least one class per month. Classes are creative and typically participants leave with a creation they have made in class. CLASS SCHEDULE
8. Rent out A Berry in the Wild for your next event. The studio is available to rent and has hosted numerous parties and receptions. The studio also has a separate classroom that can be rented out for classes and seminars.
Near the end of our interview Donise told me the story of how A Berry in the Wild got it’s name. It was 1976 and Donise and Paul were visiting some friends in upstate New York. One evening the foursome took a drive into the hills overlooking Lake George. Donise said when she got out of the car she was overtaken with nature’s beauty. There were wild blueberries growing like weeds covering the ground everywhere she looked. Beyond the fields of blueberries Lake George glistened in the distance as the sun set over this picturesque scene.
She felt in awe of God’s artistry at that moment. She decided that if she were to open a business at any time in her lifetime, whatever that business may be, she would name it A Berry in the Wild because she wanted her work to make people feel the way she felt at that exact moment.
Donise is committed to giving her clients A Berry in the Wild experience!
Visit a Berry in the Wild at
1057 Park Street, Suite A
Castle Rock, CO 80109
A Berry in the Wild website
Courtney Murphy is a REALTOR serving the Denver metro area. Contact Courtney today to find your Colorado dream home!
[idx-platinum-widget id=”10645-45722″ ]